Google is a complicated “piece” of software that is being updated constantly, with each update theoretically bringing new fixes and improvements. Every year, Google quietly releases hundreds of refinements to its search engine algorithms. Pratik Dholakiya, in Search Engine Journal, offers link-builders 10 Post-Panda/Penguin Era Link Acquisition Strategies. Here they are in a nutshell:
(1) Identify Viable Link Opportunities by targeting domains related to your blog's niche.
(2) Use the Best Tools to maximize SEO
(3) Focus On Sites With Manual Approval. Dholakiya advises "If you can get a link from a site without a human being playing a part in the process, that link is virtually guaranteed to have no value in the long term."
(4) Win the Content Marketing Game by using a mix of strategies (Don't put all your eggs in one basket)
(5) About 70 percent of your links should just mention your brand, URL, or domain name. Only about 10 percent should focus on the exact keywords you are trying to rank for.
(6) Refrain From Uisng Black-Hat Mass Link Building Tactics
(7) Social Media is Your Friend (This one we know already)
(8) Regularly review your links in Google Webmaster Tools
(9) Analyze Your Competitor’s Links (Another "you should already be doing this")
and one last "given"...
(10) Build Relationships
The complete post is available here.